The Duolingo English Test (DET) is a modern, self-administered English proficiency test. Recognized by many top universities worldwide, it’s increasingly popular among international students, college applicants, job seekers, and those wanting to display their English skills.
About Duolingo test
Administered by the Duolingo board, the Duolingo English Test yields scores between 10 and 160. The test fee stands at USD 49, roughly INR 3,600. The adaptive test spans 45 minutes, while the video interview occupies 10 minutes. Noteworthy is that test results are emailed within two days and accessible on the Duolingo site. Among the top 5 universities accepting Duolingo scores are:
The top 5 universities which accept Duolingo test scores are:
- Columbia University
- Duke University
- University of Washington
- Yale University
- New York University
Eligibility: Eligibility for the Duolingo English Test is open to all individuals. However, individuals under the age of 13 are required to obtain consent from a parent or guardian before taking the test. It is essential for all test takers intending to use their scores as part of a college admission application to verify that the chosen college accepts the Duolingo English Test.
Test pattern: The Duolingo English Test consists of two main components: a 45-minute adaptive test and a 10-minute writing and speaking test. Candidates are permitted to retake the test twice each month. The adaptive section’s structure is intricate, yet it encompasses four distinct sections:
1. Conversation Section: Assesses the candidate’s aptitude for listening and speaking.
2. Comprehension Section: Evaluates reading and listening proficiencies.
3. Literacy Section: Tests the candidate’s writing and reading abilities.
4. Production Section: Analyzes the candidate’s capacity for reading and writing.
These segments together create the comprehensive Duolingo English Test. Scores of 95-100 are comparable to IELTS band 6, 105-110 to IELTS band 6.5, and 115+ to IELTS band 7.
Test time and location: The Duolingo online test offers convenience regarding timing and location. Candidates are not required to visit a physical test center. With a computer and internet connection, the test can be taken from the comfort of home or any preferred location.
Advantages of Duolingo test
The Duolingo English Test offers several advantages:
- Flexibility: Test-takers can choose when and where to take the test, allowing them to fit it into their schedule and take it from the comfort of their own space.
- Convenience: As it is an online test, there’s no need to travel to a test center, saving time and effort.
- Quick Results: Scores are typically available within two days, allowing test-takers to meet tight application deadlines.
- Affordability: The test fee is relatively lower compared to other English proficiency tests, making it a more cost-effective option for many candidates.
- Adaptive Format: The adaptive test design tailors the difficulty of questions based on a test-taker’s previous responses, ensuring a more accurate assessment of their skills.
- Variety of Skills Assessed: The test evaluates multiple language skills including speaking, listening, reading, and writing, providing a comprehensive overview of language proficiency.
- Acceptance by Institutions: An increasing number of universities and institutions globally recognize and accept Duolingo test scores for admissions.
- No In-Person Interaction: For candidates uncomfortable with face-to-face speaking interviews, the video interview component allows them to respond in a more controlled setting.
- Accessibility: The online nature of the test makes it accessible to candidates from around the world, even in areas with limited test center availability.
- Environmentally Friendly: Since it’s conducted online, it reduces the need for physical materials and transportation, contributing to a smaller carbon footprint.
Tips to prepare for Duolingo English Test
1. Start with a Duolingo Test Walkthrough
Before you start studying for the test, go to the Duolingo test website. Try to get a brief idea about the exam and watch a quick video available for some key information on how the test works, and how you can register and set up for the exam itself.
2. Take a sample test
The best way to get familiar with the Duolingo test is by taking a sample test. There is no limit on how many times you can do these and they are a shorter version of the actual test. It can boost your confidence and help you understand the real test better. It also gives you an estimated score so you know how you performed and the areas where you need improvement.
3. Know the Duolingo question types and time
The sample test on the Duolingo website will give you a good idea about the types of questions that you will be given. You must also keep the time in mind when the test must be completed. You may also download the official Duolingo English Test guide after you’ve made an account.
5. Prepare in advance
Give yourself plenty of time to prepare for the test day. It is best to start at least one month before your exam date. This way, you can avoid stress and will not have to work under too much pressure. Take the test whenever you feel ready.
6. Practice everyday English
The Duolingo test is the best at testing your real-world English fluency. This test includes non-academic questions and can’t be rehearsed.
Some tips for the test day
On the test day, you must remember a few things:
- You need a photo ID issued by the government.
- A quiet area for more than one hour, with no other distractions around
- A computer with a built-in front-facing webcam, speakers, and microphone. No headphones or earphones are allowed.
- A strong internet connection