You are currently viewing Categories of Student Visa in Australia

Categories of Student Visa in Australia

  • Post author:

There are many students visa categories for international students interested in studying in Australia. One must choose (with thehelp of expert counselors) the right class of visa suitable to them before filing an application for the same. Here is a detailed list to help you out:

All visa applications by international students and education agents are processed online by making a record on ImmiAccount.

Student visa (Subclass 500)

This type of student visa includes the following types of academic programs.

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  • schools (primary and secondary)
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational education and training (VET)
  • higher education
  • postgraduate research
  • non-grant courses
  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defense.

Other visa alternatives

For shorter periods of education, one can apply for a Visitor or Working Holiday Visa. There is additionally a visa choice explicitly for student guardians.

Guest Visa (Subclasses 600, 601, 651)

  • Maximum 3 months study period
  • Intention to visit Australia is genuine
  • Meet health and character necessities.
  • Sufficient assets to support yourself during stay in Australia.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 and 462)

  • Maximum study period of 4 months
  • Aged 18 to 30 years and hold a valid identification
  • Holiday is the principal purpose
  • Enter or stay in Australia as a genuine guest
  • Meet health and character necessities
  • Sufficient assets for airfares and personal support during period of stay in Australia

Student Guardian (Subclass 590)

  • Provides for specific person/people to live with a student in Australia, where the student requires a guardian, ie: the student is under 18 years old
  • Study as long as 3 months or study ELICOS for 20 hours every week for duration of visa
  • Meet Genuine Temporary Entrant prerequisite
  • Sufficient assets for airfares and living expenses
  • Meet health and character prerequisites
  • Acceptable health insurance

Brief Graduate (Subclass 485)

  • This visa permits qualified international students who have finished Australian education to remain in Australia and gain work-experience.
  • You can work in Australia for a period of a year and a half and as long as 4 years, depending upon your educational qualification.
  • This visa doesn’t confine the sort of work you may do or the quantity of hours you may put into work
  • Applications for this visa must be made in Australia and you should hold a valid student visa over the most recent 6 months.
  • You must meet Australian study, English proficiency, health insurance, health and character prerequisites.
  • You must meet the particular necessities of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

For further assistance, it is advisable that you visit suitable education agents/counselors for accurate guidance on your visa application, course application, and for answers of any other queries that might arise through the course of application.